Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brussel Sprouts!

Over my holiday break, I made it to a cool restaurant in San Francisco called Isa. One of my favorite items on the menu was a brussel sprout side dish. It was slightly naughty in that it had bacon in it, but I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation, so a couple of crumbles of bacon is no big deal to me. Super purists may disagree, but that's why we're all on personal journeys, right? This girl needs some bacon every once in a while! I decided to re-create the side dish in a healthier way tonight. I haven't made it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes! Here's the plan:

1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 red onion, chopped (I'm only putting this in here because I have red onions)
1 pound brussel sprouts (most likely halved because they'll cook faster)
4 slices bacon (microwaved because I'm lazy!)

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until soft. Microwave bacon and crumble. Keep bacon on the side. Add brussel sprouts and saute. I may need to add a bit of chicken broth to steam the sprouts in. Will report on that later! Add bacon crumbles in at the end. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. In all honesty, I should really leave out the salt!

Nutrition Facts
Bacon and Brussel Sprouts
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories170
Total Fat10.7g
Saturated Fat1.5g
Trans Fat0g
Cholesterol9mg
Sodium246mg
Carbohydrate12.1g
Dietary Fiber4.8g
Sugars4.2g
Protein7.5g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 1%Iron 1%

I'm excited about it! I'm going to eat a chicken breast as well that I've marinated in soy sauce and powdered ginger with a little hot sauce mixed in. Yum!

On the workout front, I went jogging with a friend this morning. It was fun!

Have a healthy night all!

UPDATE: I did use some chicken broth. 1/2 cup and I added it into the brussel sprouts, onion, and garlic, then I simmered that until the brussel sprouts were tender and dark green. I also forget to mention that was 4 servings!

No comments:

Post a Comment