Monday, August 31, 2009

MUST FOCUS!!!

Okay, so this is now week 2 of INSANITY. The workouts are going well, so that's great. Unfortunately, as is always a fact with me, I fell off the food wagon this weekend. I don't know why I do it because I can be so focused with my workouts. It's totally unacceptable to me that I will workout and then eat crap on the weekends and think things will turn out well! So not good!

This summer, I was traveling all week for work, and I COMPLETELY lost all control. I was working long hours, I was eating out at every meal (living out of hotels), and I wasn't working out. This caused me to gain back the weight I had lost on P90X and then some. UGH!!! Again, so not good!

I really need to focus on my eating so I can get the real results of these fitness efforts! Here are some of the things I'd like to do to keep myself on track for the next 8 weeks:

  1. Log my food and workouts on www.myfooddiary.com, including my walks to and from school (35 min each way with my laptop bag on my back... that's actually pretty tough!)
  2. Eliminate alcohol, even the occasional glass of wine for this next 8 weeks. I can go back to the occasional glass of wine when I'm done with INSANITY and I really feel like I've got myself in a good food pattern.
So, I'm not sure where else to focus. Do you guys stick to your plan all the time? Or do you subscribe to the one day off philosophy?

So today is not going too hot. I'm at the too few calories level... oh boy! This is so difficult but it's worth the effort! I'd really like to lost 30 pounds, so I've got to FOCUS!!! Any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated!

On the topic of INSANITY, today's workout went well. My power jumps are getting much better! I still had to take some breaks at the end, mostly when I was transitioning from move to move. Today was the Power Cardio Resistance workout... not sure if that's the exact title, but it's got a bit more of the toning moves in it... some dips, more pushups, etc. Quite nice! I burned 612 calories... woo hoo!

5 comments:

  1. Alissa,
    I had the same problems with eating poorly on the weekends until just the past few weeks when something finally clicked. For me I guess it really came down to being frustrated that I would drop 2-3 pounds over the week, and then after the weekend I would be right back where I started, it didn't seem to matter if I cheated a lot or a little, the effect was the same, so I kept around 180-185 for the longest time. In the past few weeks I've put 2 good weekends together back to back and that has allowed me to drop and stay closer to 176-177, as well as a noticeable change in the flatness of my belly! Now that I've seen that success I don't want to mess it up with alcohol, soda, sweets, refined carb, etc. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same problem!!! I used to allow myself a cheat day (usually Saturday or Sunday-whichever day was rest day). That usually turned into the whole weekend-and whamo-the weight was back. I have been reading a metabolism advantage. The basic principle is to stick with your 'proper' diet 90% of the time and have a 'cheat-wine/cookie' 10 percent. This will allow you to have up to 4 glasses of wine a week-you can save it up or disperse it through the week. I have followed this and have lost about 6 pound over the past 2.5 weeks. You definitely don't get a cheat day, but you can bend a little here and there throughout the week and not feel so guilty. Plus, you feel great over the weekends by continuing to eat healthily. Good luck and take a deep breath, you are so dedicated-keep up the amazing work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often follow the 'one day off' rule. I think it helps me because I know that one day a week I can eat something that I haven't had in a while, that may be higher in calories, or not so good for me and that I don't have to feel guilty about it. The key is to keep it to that one day, or meal, and get right back on track the next day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also do the one day off per week. It may be Saturday, but Sunday if I so choose.

    I know in the first round of P90X I took every Sunday off until Phase 3. I saw how much my body was progressing and ended up working out every day for the last five weeks with extra yoga or extra cardio and sometimes even double days!

    I enjoy reading your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the alcohol, even the littlest bit can sabatoge any diet and make you bloated-so not cool! Good for you for making that adjustment! I also would recommend a cheat meal-or dessert, once a week. NOT the whole day! You can ruin the whole week by doing a whole day or gorging (I don't know how you eat, but that's how I did it when I used to have cheat day! lol)The diet plan in Insanity WORKS! I've had clients eat too little, and they don't lose any weight, but as soon as they bump up their caloric intake-BAM weight starts to drop off like mad. When you're working so hard on a program like Insanity-your body needs the extra calories to function, and your metabolism needs it to burn more calories. If you don't, you will just bonk really hard, and feel like poo poo. So-my recommendation-One cheat "meal" not day, and you should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete