Saturday, August 15, 2009

INSANITY Nutrition Program

Since I'm not prepared to start the workouts until next weekend, I decided to do my due diligence and read through the Elite Nutrition book. I really like it!

Before I went to grad school, I had a very typical office job, and my company was just awesome and relaxed and flexible. We had a fridge and a gym there, and I was able to structure my meals and workouts really well. I ate 5 small meals a day, and I made sure I balanced my carbs, fat, and protein. It was awesome! This nutrition book suggests the same, not surprisingly. I've wanted to get back to that type of eating, and I have been using my lifestyle as an excuse... no longer! I'm going to follow this plan!

With my age, weight, and fitness level, it says I should be eating 2100 calories a day to lose weight. I'm going to give it a shot! I think this is the breakdown I'm going to go for:

Breakfast - 400 calories
Snack 1 - 400 calories
Lunch - 500 calories
Snack 2 - 300 calories
Dinner - 500 calories

I know it's not goo to push all your calories to the end of the day, but I know I'll always want to have more at dinner, so I'm going to just plan for it. The good news about the plan is that it's a lot of food I really eat anyway like whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it (my breakfast EVERYDAY).

I'm going to be gone all day long, so I'm going to need to pack my foods in the morning. There are a lot of egg options, so that's going to be difficult. I don't like hardboiled, so I'm going to stick to eggs when I'm home near my stove. I have a feeling I'll be substituting in sliced turkey or even beans for some of those proteins on the go. I love oatmeal and yogurt, and I actually used to use those as my afternoon snacks when I was more on the 5 meals a day kick. I think this is going to be an old familiar eating plan that I have absolutely missed! Now the key is to never get off of it!

1 comment:

  1. Be careful!!! I did P90X the full 91 days and actually gained 12 pounds (no girls dream)!!! I did follow the diet and exercised like crazy, but it was just too many calories!!! I am 5'2 and was at 118 wanting to get to about 110ish-YIKES!!! I do have so much faith in the program, but those calories matter (even if they are good ones). I have continued to exercise like normal/p90x and have now lost 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks just by cutting back to 1200-1600 calories a day. Please keep us updated. Good luck-I'm soooo rooting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete