Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Year of Me

A year ago today, I moved from Pittsburgh, PA to central CT for a job. I had just graduated from business school, and I decided at that time I was embarking on a journey that I called "The Year of Me." May 2010 had been a trying month for me, although when compared to the troubles of others, I really should have felt like a brat. In any case, I decided I was going to spend a year focusing on me... doing things I wanted to do, figuring out more of who I am... and now said year is over, so I thought I'd reflect on where I've been!

In the past year, I ran my first sub-2 hour half marathon. Not bad for someone who's "not an athlete." I put that in quotes because I used to tell people I was not an athlete because I didn't really play sports much when I was a kid. I also ran a 5K in 24 minutes, which is my fastest time ever. I'm lucky to be tall as well because that puts my weight just at Athena status for races (not for long though). Because of that, my 24 minute 5K meant I came in 2nd place. Again, not bad for someone who's "not an athlete."

I signed up for personal training for a few months, and I loved it! Some keys accomplishments:

-Gaining enough strength in my biceps so that 20 lb weights are my norm
-Chest press with 30 lb dumbbells for 6 reps - that to me was insane!
-The beginnings of a six pack that will be seen once I hit my goal
-Believing in my ability to finally hit my goal weight/body fat

All in all, it's been a great year! There's something to be said about moving somewhere where nobody knows you. You learn a lot about yourself because you see how new people react to you. I have a reputation here for being very fit and very healthy. I get comments on my arms and the crazy food I eat (ie produce). People think I'm the type of person who can and will do a Tough Mudder. I never would have thought that about myself before.

I've decided I need a little more "me time" before I conclude said Year of Me. I turn 31 in 2 months, and I am determined to hit my goal by then. With my personal trainers, I decided that my goal weight is 141 pounds but more importantly my goal body fat is 16%. To reach this goal, I've decided it's time for another round of Insanity. I just finished week 1. I'll be back to track my progress as I finish off this round of Insanity and make my way to my goal.

Have a wonderful healthy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment